Re: 4.0.5: Merge Request

From: Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 04:49:08 +0000
Subject: Re: 4.0.5: Merge Request
References: 1 2  Groups: php.dev php.qa 
Request: Send a blank email to php-dev+get-52340@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message
At 02:24 AM 4/25/2001 +0300, Zeev Suraski wrote:
While I'd say Jani's letter was slightly over emotional ;), he does have a point. I think that taking a stop to look closely at the bugs database would be a good thing, and the turn of a new version is a good time to do it. Deciding 4.0.6 won't include any significant new features, and that we'll start its release process after a bugs-database-cleaning period sounds like a good idea to me.
Well I was saying exactly what Jani is saying. That if you want a bug free minor version then you have to be aware of all the existing crash bugs in the bugs database and not live in the illusion that this last 4.0.5 crash bug fix creates now a stable version. I don't think every crash bug can be a show stopper. Our releases would slow down to a halt. I don't think it's enough to decide that 4.0.6 won't have additional features (also because it has enough additional features already which are enough for another minor version), but the developers need to actually go through the bugs database and work on those crash bugs. It's not that easy to get everyone to work on them. Anyway, I think it's a good idea to decide on a one to two week intensive period where no features are added and all developers work hard on closing crash bugs and other serious bugs. The problem is that there will be lots of developers who will want their very important patches going into 4.0.6 and quite a few who won't be bothered to do the tough job. I'm not sure this would work. Andi

« previous php.dev (#52340) next »