Re: Scratching the 4.3 branch

From: Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 07:07:20 +0000
Subject: Re: Scratching the 4.3 branch
References: 1  Groups: php.dev 
Request: Send a blank email to php-dev+get-89128@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message
I differ with you regarding whether we can or cannot tell people to pause development for a few weeks. Regardless, if we want to allow people to develop, I suggested using development branches (or branch), instead of using a release branch, for most of the duration of this release cycle. Given the fact that bug fixing is going to be much more popular than adding new features, it's the logical thing to do, IMHO. Zeev At 19:18 06/10/2002, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
I don't think we can just not provide some place for people to work on new code. We have way too many extensions in various states of development to just arbitrarily tell everyone to stop what they are doing. The ext/xslt work going on right now is a good example along with the image rotation functions for GD that are waiting in the wings. Whether the 4.3 branch was created too early or not is debatable, but a date was set to give people a kick in the ass and in that respect it worked pretty well. A lot of problems were fixed, or at least looked at in the last week. The answer may be to re-branch when we are ready for RC1. When the implicit_flush mess is resolved and Melvyn gives the thumbs up for the Sablotron stuff then I think we are ready for RC1. -Rasmus On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Zeev Suraski wrote: I think we'd be better off waiting a bit with the php5 move. In general I just don't think we can push a successful release while we continue developing. If we concentrate on getting 4.3 out the door within a month, we can then concentrate on php5. Zeev At 13:33 06/10/2002, Derick Rethans wrote:
On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Sander Roobol wrote:
On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 11:01:02AM +0200, Derick Rethans wrote:
On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Zeev Suraski wrote:
I think that given the circumstances, we should scratch the 4.3
branch and
stick to the main branch for this particular release, at least
until we're
very close to the release itself. The vast majority of CVS traffic
going
on these days is bug fixes anyway, so creating the branch only
makes it
more difficult to keep up - you have to keep the two branches
in sync.
Issuing a request for people not to develop new features for a
couple of
months (or telling them to develop in some -dev branch), will,
in my
opinion, work better than our conventional release
process. I'm very
worried about sync problems with 4.3.
Maybe it's time to opening up the php5 module then... people would be able to work on experimental stuff there without messing up the
stable
module. It might be a psychological thing but I think it's
appropriate
here.
+1 on removing the branch - to avoid problems with staying in sync with
head
-1 on the php5 module - it'll move the sync problems to another place
I think it does solve things. When there is the php5 module for 'happy hacking', but without touching that's great for new functions, rewritten extensions etc.. while you can fix bugs on the stable, supported, php4 module. Synching when we start actively on php4 would be only needed for not-modified extensions in the php5 module. And perhaps once a month for the PHP core. THis will be much more maintainable than the little merges evry hour. regards, Derick -- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Derick
Rethans                                   http://derickrethans.nl/
JDI Media Solutions --------------[ if you hold a unix shell to your ear, do you hear the
c? ]-
-- PHP Development Mailing List <http://www.php.net/> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
-- PHP Development Mailing List <http://www.php.net/> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

« previous php.dev (#89128) next »