Re: post 5.3.0 development

From: Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:47:09 +0000
Subject: Re: post 5.3.0 development
References: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Groups: php.internals 
Request: Send a blank email to internals+get-44489@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message
this process is known and we already said that we have to change the way we do it after 5.3.0. On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Scott MacVicar<scott@macvicar.net> wrote: > I *completely* agree with making sure 5.3.0 is stable and stopping extra > things sneaking their way in. I just don't like the way that it is being > done. > > If the release is tagged and built, then why continue with the freeze? Why > not open it up for bug fixes towards 5.3.1? > > If the reason that you're about to be given is, we might find something > critical and need to re-roll 5.3.0 then branch from the tag you've created, > fix what's needed and re-tag. Even though CVS sucks it does allow this. > > This is the way the Mozilla project has done it for years, following their > example we'd just create a PHP_5_3_RELBRANCH and work from that. The RMs are > the only ones that get to decide what goes in after the freeze. > > https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey:Release_Process > > Scott > > > On 26 Jun 2009, at 21:12, Pierre Joye wrote: > >> you totally misunderstood the mail. The freeze is about the days >> between now and the release itself on Tuesday (monday evening >> actually). That's perfectly valid. >> >> The idea then is to allow only bug fixes in 5.3.1, and only bug fixes. >> What's wrong with that? >> >> -- >> Pierre >> >> >> >> >> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Scott MacVicar<scott@macvicar.net> wrote: >>> >>> On 26 Jun 2009, at 19:59, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote: >>>> >>>> On 26.06.2009, at 20:26, Pierre Joye <pierre.php@gmail.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Scott MacVicar<scott@macvicar.net> >>>>> wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> On 26 Jun 2009, at 16:26, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>>> Aloha, >>>>>>> >>>>>>> So the last fix is just being prepared for a commit and so we will be >>>>>>> tagging 5.3.0 soon. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> We would like to up hold the commit freeze until 5.3.0 is announced >>>>>>> next >>>>>>> Tuesday. >>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> This freeze that you guys have implemented is frustrating, just branch >>>>>> 5_3 >>>>>> into a release branch and Johannes can take selective fixes from 5_3 >>>>>> as >>>>>> needed. >>>>>> >>>>>> We all know your reasons for the freeze and agree with it but holding >>>>>> up >>>>>> regular development is a PITA. >>>>> >>>>> It is not holding up development. It is about getting a viable release >>>>> cycle and to give us the minimum safety to release 5.3.1 in a >>>>> reasonable time frame. Please explain me what's wrong to allow only >>>>> bug fixes for this phase? >>>>> >>>>> Also please note that we have HEAD for all the developments and new >>>>> features. >>>> >>>> Exactly. >>>> I will do my best to track things that need to be merged. Best is to >>>> note >>>> if something needs to be merged. >>>> >>>> But if you all feel it's such a huge burden then you can of course >>>> insist >>>> on putting the burden on the RMs. The fact of the matter is that our >>>> current >>>> infrastructure is not fit for providing both sides with an efficient >>>> solution. >>>> >>> >>> If we're freezing some more after this release for the SVN conversion >>> then >>> we could have a pretty cold branch for another week or so. >>> >>> As I've already said, I agree with only allow verified bug fixes by >>> Johannes >>> into 5.3.0. it's this extra bureaucracy that is getting added on top >>> that's >>> sucking hard. >>> >>> I don't want to leave it up to someone else to merge it into 5.3, I >>> should >>> be doing it myself. It's possible that things could get accidentally >>> missed >>> wen someone else is applying it. > -- Pierre http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org

« previous php.internals (#44489) next »