Re: HEADS UP: 5.4 branch is open again

From: Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:26:48 +0000
Subject: Re: HEADS UP: 5.4 branch is open again
References: 1  Groups: php.internals 
Request: Send a blank email to internals+get-58464@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:33 AM, David Soria Parra <dsp@php.net> wrote: > Hi internals, > > just a heads up. The PHP_5_4 branch is open for commits again. > > - David > > -- > PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List > To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php > > On a somehow related topic: Now that we have 5.4 out, I have a question: Do we know what will be the next major release? If we want to follow the releaseprocess RFC, I think it would be nice to think about whether we plan to roll out a major or a minor version next. By the RFC, we can't do such changes to the language as we did with 5.2->5.3 or 5.3->5.4, because userland BC breaks aren't allowed. So I can see two way to address this: If we can agree upon the next version number beforehand, and we decide that we will go with the major release (be that php 6 or 7, whatever), we don't to do anything right now, we can branch the version from trunk/master, when the time comes. If we can't agree upon the next version number, or we agree upon that there will be an 5.5 version, I think it would make sense to create a branch for it ASAP, so there is place (trunk/master) for the approved but backward incompatible changes, and people don't have to hold patches. What do you think? -- Ferenc Kovács @Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu

« previous php.internals (#58464) next »