Re: PHP 7 RTM date

From: Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 00:52:32 +0000
Subject: Re: PHP 7 RTM date
References: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Groups: php.internals 
Request: Send a blank email to internals+get-89161@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message
> On Nov 10, 2015, at 8:53 AM, David Zuelke <dz@heroku.com> wrote: > > Sure: http://phpversions.info/paas-hosting/ > > The default PHP version in the absence of any explicit declaration on Heroku will remain > 5.6.latest for a while, but if you have a composer.json with a bunch of requirements for package > "php" like ">=5.3.3", and not a single one with an upper bound, then on the > day we make PHP 7.0.0 available, your next deploy will get PHP 7, because your composer.json says > that's fine (unless you also require extensions that are not PHP 7 ready; it all gets resolved > correctly). > > Of course, I'll roll out a warning soon to remind users of this, but many will miss it > because they tend to never read what's on their screens, so the more stable 7.0.0 is, the > better! > > You'd be surprised how many of our users have composer.json templates from weirdo > frameworks with "minimum-stability": "dev", and they don't even notice that > they're getting PHP 7 RCs because of that. Of course I don’t have any influence in what Heroku does but I would recommend not to deploy 7.0.0 on release day. Actually part of the value we provide our customers with Zend Server is to deliver hardened, tested versions which is why we tend to wait a bit before we deliver the latest and greatest versions. Our customers depend on us delivering a version they can absolutely count on. We’ve had PHP releases in the past which have been lemons and thanks to our waiting policy we saved our customers major outages. I agree with Rasmus that a .0.0 release will have a higher risk of having issues once the masses test their applications with it. The reality is that many people don’t bother testing their apps with RCs and wait for a GA version is out. So while I understand Heroku likes to be ahead of the curve my friendly recommendation would be not to make it available too quickly. Give it at least a couple of weeks to ensure nothing major blows up… Andi

« previous php.internals (#89161) next »