Re: 7.0.0 release
| From: | Xinchen Hui | Date: | Tue, 24 Nov 2015 12:33:30 +0000 |
| Subject: | Re: 7.0.0 release | ||
| References: | 1 2 | Groups: | php.internals |
| Request: | Send a blank email to internals+get-89372@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message | ||
Hey:
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Leigh <leight@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 November 2015 at 21:10, Anatol Belski <weltling@outlook.de> wrote:
>
> > a) release on 26th including all known bug fixes
> > b) do RC8, assume there are no bugs, so target 10th for RTM
> > c) do RC8, release on 3rd, expect there are no bugs come in
> > d) continue issuing release candidates till it's stable enough (needs
> > definition of stable and probably an RFC)
> >
> > I would really ask to reach a consent on either a) or c). IMO, the
> options
> > b) and d) are the direct road to curbing 7.0.0. There is no hurry to
> > release just to release, but it is definitely harmful to slow down the
> rise.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Anatol
> >
>
> I prefer a over c.
>
> As you said, we can deliver a stable and high quality 7.0.0 today. An RC
> period where you expect no bugs does not sound productive to me.
>
> We all know the "real testing" doesn't begin until it's released, and the
> best way to find what is left (things we have not found in over a year of
> development and testing), is to get more people looking at it.
>
> Delaying the release is actually delaying the discovery of bugs that affect
> real world applications that we do not have access to, and cannot test
> with. Many teams will not even start testing with 7 until it gets an
> official release.
>
I agree.
I also go for a)
thanks
>
> If something is found, it doesn't make the release any less high quality.
> Any bugs that would be found between now and the 3rd will still be found
> (and probably more), and they will still be fixed. The only difference
> would be a 0.0.1 version number.
>
> /2c
>
--
Xinchen Hui
@Laruence
http://www.laruence.com/