RE: [PHP-DEV] RFC: unicode.semantics: runtime or not?
| From: | Andi Gutmans | Date: | Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:40:53 +0000 |
| Subject: | RE: [PHP-DEV] RFC: unicode.semantics: runtime or not? | ||
| References: | 1 | Groups: | php.internals |
| Request: | Send a blank email to internals+get-25553@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message | ||
As Andrei knows, I believe that not allowing to tune this on a per virtual
host basis, is going to make life very hard for our users. A huge part of
our users are hosting providers, or companies running multiple applications
on the same machine. Probably a majority do not own dedicated boxes. This
kind of limitation is going to not only slow down PHP 6 adoption, but I
think it may also significantly impair PHP as a hosting friendly solution,
and therefore, we could actually see a loss in overall PHP market share.
I suggest to first make the theoreticaly decision that we prefer to support
this on a per-request if it's feasible. When I say feasible it means with
some but minimal pain. If it becomes a disaster we should re-evaluate. I'll
try and spend the next week to try and see what the issues are and whether
we can resolve them in an acceptable way.
Andi
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrei Zmievski [mailto:andrei@gravitonic.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:40 AM
> To: PHP Internals
> Cc: Dmitry Stogov
> Subject: [PHP-DEV] RFC: unicode.semantics: runtime or not?
>
> We really need to settle on whether we want unicode.semantics
> to be changeable at runtime or not. During early development
> it was ZEND_INI_PERDIR, meaning that it could be changed in
> .htaccess and VirtualHost blocks. However, the infrastructure
> to support this flexibility was deemed too complicated at the
> Paris PDM. Basically, we need to maintain two sets of symbol
> tables and convert between them on the fly as well as two
> copies of each class entry. The latter was especially
> problematic instead of just mentioning class entry pointer,
> you had to access it like U_CLASS_ENTRY(ce). So it was
> decided that unicode.semantics switch would be only
> ZEND_INI_SYSTEM and that is how the development proceeded
> since then. However, there have come up concerns that keeping
> it this way will make PHP 6 adoption infeasible by the
> majority of hosting companies and users since they would have
> to run two copies of Apache to support both modes.
>
> We can go back to the PERDIR version, but that requires a lot
> of work and not just in the engine, but also in a lot of
> extensions. I will let Dmitry provide the technical details,
> but we need to decide which way to go:
>
> 1. ZEND_INI_SYSTEM and make people run two copies of Apache
> if they want both modes. This is architecturally more simple
> and more robust, I believe.
> 2. ZEND_INI_PERDIR and let people switch modes as described
> above. This is a lot of work and will probably result in
> quite a few edge cases where we used to rely on stability of
> one mode (such as APC or serialization, for example).
>
> -Andrei
>
> --
> PHP Internals - PHP Runtime Development Mailing List To
> unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
>