Proposal to delay 7.0 timeline

From: Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 15:52:28 +0000
Subject: Proposal to delay 7.0 timeline
Groups: php.internals 
Request: Send a blank email to internals+get-85371@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message
Hi, One month ago, I sent a message (https://marc.info/?l=php-internals <https://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=142449701107797> &m=142449701107797) explaining in details why I thought we should take more time to gather features for 7.0. Zeev replied that it was absolutely impossible, and that the timeline had to be respected. Now, after more calls from many of you to delay it, and as Zeev himself seemed to consider it as more acceptable, I am proposing again to delay 7.0 feature freeze to May, 15 (2 month delay, date where vote is starting). I won’t repeat all the arguments of my previous posts but, to summarize, it would allow to include important features, making it a ‘real’ major version. Releasing a major version is not just a question of BC break, we also need to think about what we put forward. So, we need features. We already have STH, but we can do more (I personally have at least 4 RFCs I didn’t have time for, including scalar pseudo-methods, which can be an important feature). @Anthony, don’t get me wrong, it is absolutely not a way to keep competing about STH. Your RFC is accepted, that’s fine, the debate is over. If we decide for an additional delay, I may propose something about STH, but it will be a follow-up to your RFC, proposing additions, not an alternative STH system. So, Zeev asked in a previous mail how we could decide to delay the timeline, as it would theoretically require an RFC, which would take all the time. Good question. But, as I have a feeling that everyone except Zeev was quite flexible on the question, maybe we can have an agreement without organizing a formal vote. Just a proposal, give thoughts. Regards François

« previous php.internals (#85371) next »