Steph Fox wrote:
1) We should probably wait until the PHP 5.1.3 release because there should've been a Zend API bump last week, and it hasn't gone in yet. It'd make sense to wait for that API change and then force a 5.1.3+ dependency - people will be able to use snaps then for other extensions and for PHP itself, or the 5.1.3 bundle of course.
Please forgive my ignorance but what does waiting for 5.1.3 get us? Or I guess more specifically, what are the advantages of waiting for the Zend API bump and what are the consequences of not waiting?
If we don't wait for the release, we won't have anything to point to and say 'this is known to work' - it's not essential, just would be handy to have that rather than need to package PHP.
If we don't wait for the Zend API bump, anything the other side of it has a fair chance of not working with binaries from this side of it. API number changes aren't synched with releases, the last one was last September. Remember when all those people couldn't get their snaps binaries to work with my php-gtk2.dll last autumn? - that was why.
In any case, we're on RC 3 already there so it can't be long before the full release...
- Steph