Let's make a 5.7 release
| From: | Andrea Faulds | Date: | Fri, 15 Aug 2014 00:48:19 +0000 |
| Subject: | Let's make a 5.7 release | ||
| Groups: | php.internals | ||
| Request: | Send a blank email to internals+get-76530@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message | ||
Good evening,
I’ve kept putting this off, but given the current “move phpng to master” vote, I really
can’t delay this any longer.
It looks like PHP 7 is going to happen and phpng will be the base of that. While we could move
straight to PHP 7 after the release of PHP 5.6, I think there is some merit in having one more 5.x
release, namely 5.7, which would follow our usual release process and come out next year.
PHP 7, as a major release, is likely to take much longer than a usual minor release. While some
people might think one year is realistic, I highly doubt that, as I suspect phpng will not be the
only new feature PHP 7 will contain. Major releases come with major changes, and I suspect some
others will crop up, and these might delay the release. Because it will probably take two to three
years, having a minor release in the meantime means userland developers won’t be starved of new
features which don’t need to be in a major release and could be in a minor.
Another point is that PHP 7 is probably going to break backwards-compatibility more significantly
than minors would. For starters, phpng will break extension compatibility, and new proposals are
likely to break userland compatibility as well. By making 5.7 happen, developers will have more time
to switch to PHP 7 and can keep their existing codebases for longer.
As PHP 7 may break backwards-compatibility, 5.7 gives us a chance to add deprecation warnings and
such to help people prepare for 7.
Finally, it is a fallback. If we do end up targeting 7 to come out next year, then if serious issues
cause delays to 7, we will have a less ambitious and working new release to fall back on.
I should clarify that I don’t wish to delay phpng at all, I am very much in favour of it and
excited about it, nor do I expect this to delay it. We can simply work on two releases at once: PHP
7, an ambitious BC-breaking release to come out later, and PHP 5.7, a safe, non-breaking release
that will come out next year with the usual schedule.
Thoughts? Thanks!
--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/