Re: PHP 7.0.0 final RTM delay
| From: | Julien Pauli | Date: | Thu, 03 Dec 2015 15:14:43 +0000 |
| Subject: | Re: PHP 7.0.0 final RTM delay | ||
| References: | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Groups: | php.internals |
| Request: | Send a blank email to internals+get-89571@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message | ||
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Ferenc Kovacs <tyra3l@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 12:13 PM, François Laupretre <francois@php.net>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Le 03/12/2015 11:17, Pierre Joye a écrit :
>>
>>> The releases must be kept on hold until these binaries (and other are
>>> done in the same time btw) are validated. See it as part of the QA. As Remi
>>> mentioned, many issues have be caught during this process. If it was only
>>> about delivering binaries, a day later will never be a problem. But it is
>>> not the case. The case we are referring toi is to avoid to have to do a
>>> fast patch release to work around an issue we could have seen by validating
>>> the binaries.Simple.
>>>
>>
>> I understand your pov and I agree that windows binaries should be ready
>> when announcing the release. But, IMO, everything should have been 'frozen'
>> 2 or 3 days ago and a new openssl release or any other 3rd party software,
>> even tagged 'security fixes' shouldn't have disturbed the process. Or the
>> change is hot enough to delay the date again, but that's another process..
>>
>> Sorry to say that, as it doesn't remove anything to my respect for the
>> huge work you did, but It's now Dec, 4th in more and more locations in the
>> world and PHP 7 is not released yet ! Zeev is right, nobody cares about UTC
>> in such case.
>
>
> Yeah, and if we released a couple of hours ago there would be places where
> it was still dec 2.
> I can remember at least 3 similar occasion when an openssl release was
> coming the same day as our release and we have always waited for the
> windows builds, I don't even remember any arguments about that.
> As others mentioned waiting for the windows builds are not mandatory, so if
> the windows build team would be slacking off or going MIA we could just
> ignore it and push the release, but I don't think that the current
> situation would warrant ignoring our standard procedure used for years.
+1 . We've always followed this path , but now it is PHP 7 majors release,
some people here seem to discover the RM processing and try to change it
to urge things.
Please, respect each other's work , and if we want to change something
in RM processing, then just start a discussion about it.
I remember in 5.5 RMing having to wait for WIndows builds (OpenSSL related,
or not), and delayed the announcement of the release by +1 day.
This has happened already.
Julien.Pauli