RE: [PHP-DEV] Re: Hold off 5.4
| From: | Andi Gutmans | Date: | Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:43:05 +0000 |
| Subject: | RE: [PHP-DEV] Re: Hold off 5.4 | ||
| References: | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Groups: | php.internals |
| Request: | Send a blank email to internals+get-50555@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message | ||
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rasmus Lerdorf [mailto:rasmus@lerdorf.com]
> Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:27 AM
> To: Johannes Schlüter
> Cc: Andi Gutmans; Jani Taskinen; davey@php.net; PHP Internals
> Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: Hold off 5.4
>
> Looking through trunk I think we are in pretty good shape. I don't think cherry-
> picking and branch merging is an issue at this point. A
> 5.4 with the performance improvements, Traits, minus the type hinting
> breakage is something we can get out pretty quickly without causing any sort of
> PHP 6 confusion or breaking existing apps.
Btw, just to be clear I am also OK with this approach. I just wanted to make sure we consider the
pros/cons of doing minor vs. major so we're all aligned re: the implications :) I would pass
on any type hinting patch because there's no consensus and if we rip it out we are pretty much
set to go (and I do not see a major negative implication of taking it out). Less is more IMO and it
will enable us to get good functionality out sooner. We will probably make some more engine
enhancements during pre-beta but can freeze at any point in time.
Andi