Re: 5.4 again
| From: | Philip Olson | Date: | Wed, 11 May 2011 21:10:29 +0000 |
| Subject: | Re: 5.4 again | ||
| References: | 1 2 3 4 5 | Groups: | php.internals |
| Request: | Send a blank email to internals+get-52325@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message | ||
On May 11, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Stas Malyshev wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Waiting a month or two longer is worth it, especially considering the
>> 5.4 momentum feels real this time around. We're creating a real TODO,
>> and have a real tentative timeline, so forcing a premature alpha at
>> this point (thus closing off feature/api discussion) is a bad idea. A
>> big -1 here. I mean, we may as well get it right since we've waited
>> so long already.
>
> I don't think it's closing feature discussion. We can have another alpha after the
> discussion, or more than one. I can see the value of having _something_ right now to signify we mean
> it this time, but that something would definitely not be anything near final and we can take
> features in after the discussion is done.
The alpha release proposal by Andi contains the text:
"I think we (almost) all agree that we need to start pushing PHP 5.4 with all the goodness
that has been developed "to-date". Additional features can wait for the next
version."
So, that's the concern there. But if the alpha is simply a trick to convince people to test out
a specific PHP 5.4 snapshot, and feel 5.4 is real, then do it. ;)
Regards,
Philip