Re: [RFC] Typed Properties

From: Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 11:25:43 +0000
Subject: Re: [RFC] Typed Properties
References: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Groups: php.internals 
Request: Send a blank email to internals+get-102603@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message
On 05.07.2018 at 13:05, Björn Larsson wrote: > Den 2018-07-05 kl. 12:17, skrev Nikita Popov: > >> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Björn Larsson >> <bjorn.x.larsson@telia.com> >> wrote: >> >>> Den 2018-06-21 kl. 20:41, skrev Sara Golemon: >>> >>> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM, Dan Ackroyd <danack@basereality.com> >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>>> On 21 June 2018 at 17:49, Stanislav Malyshev <smalyshev@gmail.com> >>>>> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> I think it's better not >>>>>> to feel pressured by the deadline for 7.3 >>>>>> >>>>> The deadline isn't a deadline - it's just the current consensus for >>>>> when we'd like to see 7.3 released. >>>>> >>>>> If people thought this RFC needed more time but would make PHP 7.3 a >>>>> lot better, would there be any harm in moving the 7.3 release back a >>>>> few weeks? >>>>> >>>>> Sure.  I would *far* prefer that over jamming this in without any >>>> change in the GA date.  We have to be careful about exactly when we >>>> push it to.  The current GA date wasn't chosen arbitrarily, but with >>>> concern regarding the proximity to the holiday season. >>> >>> Any chance getting this into 7.3? I think it would be a >>> great addition. According to Marco Pivettas mail from >>> 26/6 it works flawlessly. >>> >>> Givven the current discussion about 8.0 it feels a bit >>> way off having this to wait for this feature until 2020. >> >> We have recently finished the last major change to the implementation >> (switching to https://wiki.php.net/rfc/typed_properties_v2# >> references_without_intrinsic_type -- the RFC still needs to be updated >> for >> this change). However, there is still quite a bit of refactoring and >> polish >> to be done. Unfortunately, we are running out of time. There are already >> less than two weeks until the currently planned feature freeze, before >> which the vote must be finished and the implementation merged. For such a >> major feature, I don't like the idea of rushing the vote to such a >> degree. >> >> As such, I think that this feature can only go into 7.3 if the release >> schedule is adjusted. Extending the schedule by another 2-week alpha >> cycle >> would be sufficient to land this proposal in PHP 7.3. Otherwise it will >> just have to wait a few years for the next applicable release (based on >> recent discussions, it's not entirely clear whether that would be PHP 7.4 >> or 8.0). > > Sounds like the RMs for 7.3 need to weigh in on this. > For me I think it's worthwhile delaying two weeks, +1. Is there any precendent for postponing feature freeze during the (late) alpha stage? -- Christoph M. Becker

« previous php.internals (#102603) next »