Re: [RFC] Typed Properties

From: Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 10:33:27 +0000
Subject: Re: [RFC] Typed Properties
References: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Groups: php.internals 
Request: Send a blank email to internals+get-102699@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message
On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 1:22 PM Nicolas Grekas <nicolas.grekas+php@gmail.com> wrote: > 2018-07-10 11:18 GMT+02:00 Marco Pivetta <ocramius@gmail.com>: > > > It's been a few weeks since this has first landed here, and we're just > > wasting time in relatively silly discussions at this point: > > > > - As I said earlier, this patch has already been tested against some > > extremely tricky scenarios, so from a userland perspective it is safe for > > inclusion. If you don't have confidence in something related to it, > please > > write a test case and help out. > > - can we get a yes/no from the RMs on whether we'll have the time window > > to (potentially) get this voted and (*if* passed) merged? Shoot out a > mail > > with the decision, please. We could have a vote for which version to > > include this in, if that's really such a big issue. > > - can we split out discussions on 8.0 scope? Minor versions are indeed > for > > features. If PHP 8.0 lacks interesting/marketing features, that's a > > different story. > > - Nikita/Bob: can this be voted upon right after the RMs have taken a > > decision? Anything blocking missing? > > - Is the reference issue reported by Nicolas a blocker? Nicolas, can you > > clarify here? > > > > I'm definitely ith you on this one Marco, typed properties is something > userland asks since a long time and postponing it to 8.0 for "marketing" > reasons might be very frustrating (well, we'll deal with that if it happens > :) ) > > For the sake of those who weren't reading the discussion on the other thread - the reason I believe it shouldn't go into 7.3 as well as the reasons why I think this should be discussed for 8.0 are hardly just 'marketing' reasons, although I absolutely do think that decisions like this (which version a certain feature goes into) is not exclusively or even primarily a technical decision. The reasons I stated were: "the little time we have left, the little concrete discussion that happened so far as a result, the inconsistency of allowing such a vote to push out feature freeze, the scope of this feature being a lot more suitable for a major release, and our inability to fix/improve other related elements at the same time" I've also given several examples - some of them arguably quite bigger than this proposal - where we sat on code for a very long time (multiple years even) in order for it to be included in a major version, and not a minor one (phpng, JIT, FFI) even though technically they could go into the next available minor. Zeev

« previous php.internals (#102699) next »