Re: Re: [RFC] Typed Properties
| From: | Niklas Keller | Date: | Tue, 17 Jul 2018 06:57:05 +0000 |
| Subject: | Re: Re: [RFC] Typed Properties | ||
| References: | 1 2 3 | Groups: | php.internals |
| Request: | Send a blank email to internals+get-102879@lists.php.net to get a copy of this message | ||
Zeev Suraski <zeev@zend.com> schrieb am Di., 17. Juli 2018, 00:10:
> > Based on the feedback we received, we have decided to target PHP 7.4 for
> this
> > RFC. A main factor for this decision was that the RFC requires some
> non-trivial
> > changes to 3rd-party extensions for full compatibility. This would put
> the
> > ongoing (but nearly complete) effort to port extensions to PHP 7.3 back
> to
> > square one.
>
> As I mentioned beforehand, I think it's good it wasn't rushed into 7.3 and
> at the same time sorry it's not being targeted for 8.0.
>
> > Now that the target version is decided and the last open questions in
> the RFC
> > have been resolved, we plan to open voting tomorrow.
>
> IMHO one of the key reasons for not putting it into 7.3 was the fact that
> very little discussion about the actual proposal actually happened because
> it arrived so late in the 7.3 release cycle. Most of the discussion under
> the Typed Properties thread actually had to do with whether or not it
> should go into 7.3, 7.4 or 8.0 - and not about the specifics of the
> proposal. I skimmed through the thread and found just a handful of
> responses that dealt with the specific of the proposals - most of them
> unanswered (unless I'm missing some internals email somehow).
>
> With this in mind, I think that now that the meta parts are finalized, we
> should allow a bit more time for real meaningful discussion about the
> proposal to happen. I understand that you don't want to delay this to a
> later time in the 7.4 process, but delaying it by a week or so will allow
> people to actually review the proposal in more detail without the
> uncertainty that surrounded it beforehand - and perhaps have their concerns
> addressed. Given that 7.4's finalization date is a year away, and there
> are no conflicting RFCs in the queue - a week will not have any sort of
> negative influence on the proposal, but might have some positive impact on
> its contents.
>
> Zeev
>
I'd also like to ask for a further discussion period. Seems like there is
quite some discussion going on right now.
Regards, Niklas
>